Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back to School-New 1:1 Roll Out!

Hello friends! Like many of you, I'm thinking about back to school! I am officially employed full time in the elementary school that I have dedicated the last 6 years of my substitute teaching time to. I'm very excited & happy to have a renewed sense of purpose! I will be teaching in a Title 1 position. I can't wait to get started working with my kiddos!

While I will be busy with my Title position, I will also be busy helping my fellow teachers as we begin our 1:1 iPad roll out for our K-4 students. Our Kindergarten classes received their iPads last spring so that when those students moved on to 1st grade, they would have some knowledge of how to use it. This year the 1st grade & the 4th grade classes will be starting out 1:1. Next year will be 2nd grade, then in our final year of roll out it will be our 3rd grade classes. We are all eager to begin the transition!

Our school is a rural school in Northern Michigan. We are a K-12 campus. Our 5th grade will be our transition grade with a mixture of iPads & MacBook Airs. Our 7th & 10th graders are picking up their MacBook Air computers next week. Our tech department has been working diligently throughout the summer to have all of this ready for the new school year. They sure have had their hands full!

While I'm thinking of all of the amazing possibilities that we will be able to bring to our students, I am reminded of a wonderful way of looking at our tech integration. We can so easily find something to keep our kids busy using technology, but integration is so much more than that. I am quoting a new follower of my twitter account, April Requard @AprilRequard: "Because it really isn't about technology, it's what you do with it that matters." Remember this when you're implementing a new piece of technology in your classroom. Technology enhances our instruction. It is not a replacement for teachers and authentic teaching experiences!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy,
    I found your blog via the #littlefishteacherblogger linky party. I am excited about following you as I too am a 1:1 iPad teacher at a Title 1 site. Your profile says you teach 3rd grade but one of your posts said you were planning for kinder. Do you still teach third?

    I understand the lack of time to post. It always seems like an easy thing to do until you have to find the time to write! :) Now there is periscope on top of all of the other social media (and the new Ron Clark Academy app as well) I don't think there are enough hours in the day to do it all.

    I look forward to reading more from you.

    Stacie
    makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stacie!

      I'm so glad you found my blog! I DO teach 3rd grade! That just tells you how often I update my blog :-( I taught Kindergarten for a year before moving to 3rd grade. I'm entering my 2nd year in 3rd grade this fall.

      It definitely does seem so easy until I realize that it's been MONTHS since I last blogged and it seems like just yesterday! I'm trying to do more this year. I agree! Periscope has taken over!!!

      I'm following you on Periscope and Twitter, and now your blog as well. Thanks for reaching out and following!

      Sandy :-)

      Delete